Thursday 10 March 2011

Glasgow National Review of Live Art

A couple of weeks ago I went up to Glasgow with a few friends to watch a few live art performances. The previous year had excellent reviews, it was a huge festival and I was convinced this year could be the same (as I didn't manage to get there last year). However the performances were somewhat...interesting? I was trying hard to figure what the concept of the performances were. Performed by European artists I did appreciate the style would be very much different to how the British perform. But it was only then I realised it is vital that there must be a concept in every piece of art. It could be performance, installation, painting or even interactive art. On any scale of artistic variation, the key to a good piece of work is a well structured and clear concept. Although that does not mean the piece has to be literal or obvious, but as long as it is definitive, I guess the art is successful.

In my own work I have stuck to the concept which is: departure. Exploring it in as many different ways as possible, through literature, photography and definitions. Although sometimes my ideas can expand and sometimes I can create red-herrings but in the end, it will always come back to being 'departure'. To always bear in mind the concept, I create work with my ideas and generate materials as much as possible and take a step back and think about what the concept is of the material I have generated, if it links then it stays and if I doesn't then it goes.

Simple key to keep the concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment